Server reported exception: timeout expired

• ogoldes 4 years, 7 months ago

Hello, I get this error: server reported exception; Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to the completion of the operation or the server is no t reposnidng.

I am using the Silverlight version of AA, the associated query takes about 30 seconds to complete at the SQL server.

How do I increase this time? And where is the timeout, between sql server– web server, or between web server–browser?

I had some queries running for about 2 minutes without getting this error, so I cannot understand what is causing it.

• 11p
    abhishekdutta11p 4 years, 7 months ago

ogoldes,

I am not sure exactly as to what may cause this issue ,as I have tried replicating the issue and I was not able to do so. Could you please send me a sample and also your database so that I can try replicating the issue and share my observations with you.

Best Regards,
    Abhishek

Hi, mi application is part of a big system, and the database is rather big and complex so it is difficult to send it to you, can you at least see where this error message originates so I can have some clue what to look for? There is something somewhere that times out at 40 seconds.

I further investigated the issue and came to the conclussion that we need to increase the value of the command timeout ActiveAnalysis is using, which appears to be set at the default value of 30 seconds. However I cannot find how to do it in your documentation , pls help

To reproduce the problem, you need to conect to an SQL data source that executes a heavy query that does not return data for about 40 seconds.

I tired increasing the connection timeout in the connection string, but this has no effect.

• 11p

ogdles,

I had requested our dev team to look into and it see if they can reproduce the issue , however they were not able to replicate the issue and were unable to ascertain exactly as to what may cause this behavior. I would request you to send us a sample along withe required cube and database so that we may look into it and help you further.

However there is a link which discusses about a similar problem and suggested solution, please go through the link given below and let us know if it helps.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8602395/timeout-expired-the-timeout-period-elapsed-prior-to-completion-of-the-operation

Please feel free to provide any additional details that would help us replicate the issue.

Best Regards,
    Abhishek

• 11p

ogdles,

I got some more insights from our internal support group ,and as per
    them we should try to narrow down the problem and check if the problem
    is with ActiveAnalysis or reaching the server. You can check this by
    creating a simple sample application without using ActiveAnalysis and
    try connecting to the server using the connection string that you used
    in your original application . In case you are unable to connect to the
    server and face a similar problem as detailed in your original post,
    then the issue may be with your server, else this may be a problem with
    ActiveAnalysis.

Best Regards,
    Abhishek

Hi, the problem is with AA, the application runs ok with the same connection string, on the same database, only AA times out on long running queries, so I suspect the command AA is using times out.

• 11p

ogoldes,

Thank you for your observations I have passed the same to our dev team as well. However we would need to replciate the issue at our end to find a solution the issue that you have reported. In order to replicate the issue I have tried querying a table(which has 7,00,000 rows and 15 columns) with simple select statement to fetch all all records and columns from the database. This query executes for about 2 minutes on the SQL Server . I have however not succeeded in replicating the behavior. The SQL Server 2008 R2 is hosted on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine at my end.

Could you please provide some additional information regarding the following so that we may try creating a similar environment at our end to replicate the issue at our end.

1. The version of SQL Server and Operating the System that you are using .

2. The number of rows and columns in your database and also the datatype of columns.

3.The SQL query that you have used to query the database and the number of records, columns that are been fetched.

4.The build number of ActiveAnalysis that you are using.

However ,It would have been very helpful if you could send us your .bak file of the database and the schema so that we could recreate the same environment at our end. Please feel free to provide any additional details that may help us replicate the issue at our end.

Best Regards,
    Abhishek

• 11p

ogoldes,

I have entered a feature case with tracking number 164764 to add a QueryTimeout” property to ActiveAnalysis which will allow developers to specify the command timeout value. I have also added your email address to this and you will be notified as the case gets implemented.

Best Regards,
    Abhishek

• 11p

ogoldes,

Since the Command Time out property is not public and set internally we are trying to make an internal build available to you with specified command out time. However we are not sure exactly as to the command out time that we should set internally so that the query does not time out . Our developer has created a test application to help ascertain the command out time that should be set internally for your case. Can you please run the attached sample application and let us know the command timeout in your case so that our dev team may set a value accordingly .

Please note that our dev team will be working on the feature case to make this property public in future versions of ActiveAnalysis so that developers may be able to set the command time out property.

Best Regards,
    Abhishek

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attched files.

Hi Abhishek, I was able use your test app.

To be on the safe side, I need 300 as command timeout.

With lower values it fails sometimes, and the error message is the exact one I get in AA

Thanks for your help!

• 11p

ogoldes,

Thank you for your reply , As you mentioned in your last post that you
    are able to replicate the issue even without using Active Analysis and
    on lower values you get the same message as you got in Active Analysis .
    This seems to point to the fact that the problem may not be with Active
    Analysis and the problem may lay elsewhere. As per our dev team, it is
    very
    unusual for an Application database server to time out at anything lower
    that 5 minutes. They think that query and server performance should be
    reviewed  and you may want to check if your queries need further
    optimization or if your server is underpowered.

Best Regards,
    Abhishek

Abhishek, as you said before, the problem is the timeout in AA! This timeout should be a public property, in the meantime, I can get along with an interim build if this timeout is longer as I said before. The fact that I can reproduce the error without using AA, just shows that the timeout inside AA is too small for me!!

Please, I need to solve this ASAP, have some customers waiting.

• 107p
    SankalpS107p 4 years, 7 months ago

ogoldes,

Since setting the timeout to 300 solves your issue in the application may be we can try creating an interim build (where timeout has been set to 300 internally) and provide it to you till case 164764 is implemented. I have asked the product manager if this can be arranged and I will update you as soon as I hear back.

Regards,
    Sankalp

That would be great! Please do it!

Hi Abhishek , can you give me a time estimate for the interim version?

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.