Out of Memory Exception in Active Analysis

• 2p
    captell2p 2 years, 11 months ago

Hi there,
    I’ve installed the 958 build and I can report that the out of memory errors don’t seem to occur as early as they did however It still seems to be throwing the error when there is still a reasonable amount of standby memory available. Ad there is still the issue of not being able to catch error when it’s thrown.

It seems to me that the power of a component like this is it’s ability to analyse a large set of data. My software for instance is looking at capacity and utilisation of a large number of windows servers, say around 5000 this could be several hundred thousand records. The 958 build has alleviated the issue a little but it still doesn’t go far enough. Is it possible to look again at the memory usage of AA, perhaps with a view to caching some data to disk to reduce the memory requirements. And as I mentioned in the pervious post, provide the ability to catch the error or raise an event when memory allocation changes so that we can monitor it and gracefully deal with the issue.

Cheers…

Adrian.

• 2p
    captell2p 2 years, 11 months ago

To give you an idea of the scale of my issue. I’m running on windows 8.1 with 8GB memory. The attached image shows the attributes and measures and there is about 1.4M rows in the underlying data.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attched files.
  • 49p
    Ashish Jindal49p 2 years, 10 months ago

Hello,

Regarding the performance, I would suggest you to try cubes as the same are suggested in case of large data.

For second, I have posted an enhancement request for adding support for trapping OutOfMemory exception(172386).

Regards

• 2p
    captell2p 2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks Ashish,
    I have played a little with SQL Server Analysis Services putting my data into a cube and this does seem to resolve the memory and performance issue but I don’t want to have my clients install SSAS when my analysis is quite simple. Anyway, I have a workaround (sortof), I get the client to set some filters before loading the schema etc. and this gets through without memory problems. It’s not very satisfactory though as it cuts down the analysis capabilities. A trap for out of memory condition will help a lot.

Cheers..

• 49p
    Ashish Jindal49p 2 years, 10 months ago

Hello,

Thanks for the information. I would update you when I hear anything on enhancement request from the development team.

Regards

• 49p
    Ashish Jindal49p 2 years, 5 months ago

Hello,

A new event MemoryOverflowed is added in the latest version 979 to catch the error and the build is available at this link:

http://cdn.componentone.com/files/gcaa/gcaa-2.1.979.0.zip​

Regards
    Ashish

• 72p
    domsinclair72p 2 years, 5 months ago

Hi Ashish

That link doesn’t seem to work.

Dom

• 49p
    Ashish Jindal49p 2 years, 5 months ago

Hello,

You can copy paste the below url to download the new build:

http://cdn.componentone.com/files/gcaa/gcaa-2.1.979.0.zip

Regards

• ixm7 2 years, 3 months ago

Ashish, is there a list of changes in version .979?
    Also, any chance the development team will add memory management to support large data sets?

Dom, can you confirm if the new version indeed improved the behavior?

• 49p
    Ashish Jindal49p 2 years, 3 months ago

Hello,

This build didn’t contain any new features, hence, the notes were not available. However, the following customer issues were fixed in this version:
    173796: ‘System.NullReferenceException’ when using the LayoutActions functionality
    172386: Request to add support for trapping OutOfMemory exception
    175261: ExportTo button does not hide whenVisible property is set to false
    175815: Request to add notification about low memory while saving data in AA
    176325: AA, Underlying Data viewer missing records

Regards

• ixm7 2 years, 3 months ago

Thanks, Ashish!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pricing

ActiveAnalysis

$1,495

/developer, royalty-free

Add maintenance for $300. This renewable one-year plan entitles you to all major releases made available during its term and to unlimited phone support.

Contact Sales